Tuesday 21 April 2020

Hugging trees

Watercolour by Natasha Lee, please see links at end of blog.
I wrote this poem years ago, it's in my first published collection, The Spaces in Between (2015). I was prompted to dig it out when my artist friend Natasha Lee posted this picture of hers on her Facebook page today. Good to link the poem and the picture on here, especially when it seems so appropriate to the time.



Hugging trees

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent years,
their bark is rough, but they don’t bite;
and they don’t run away when you show your tears.

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent seasons,
they have plenty of foliage, but they don’t leave;
and you can do as you please, they don’t ask for reasons.

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent weeks,
they can be spikey but they don’t get under your skin;
and they don’t watch football and behave like geeks.                            

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent days,
they are very hard, but they are friendly and kind;
and they don’t mess with your mind in complex ways.

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent hours,
they feel rather stout, but they don’t have paunches;
and they don’t try to tell you that you have no powers.

I have hugged more trees than blokes in recent times,
they smell a bit mossy, but they don’t have odours;
and they don’t mess about with your poems and rhymes.

I may hug more blokes than trees in future ages;
they don’t have branches, but they have nice arms;
and they taste much better than old greengages.


'Hugging Trees' appears in The Spaces in Between (Pinewood Press, 2015). Copies are available direct from the author.
 
Natasha Lee Designs is here: www.natashaleeillustration.co.uk 
Facebook and Instagram :  @NatashaLeeDesigns 





No comments:

Post a Comment