Sunday 18 March 2018

Rest in the arms

Here's one from my second collection, Breakfast in Bed.... love poems and poems about love. This one was first published by WritersCafe. Links below.


Rest in the arms

the weight we carry

 is love

(from Song, by Allen Ginsberg)



I remember the hard muscles

of your thighs

across mine,

your arm heavy on my breasts.



I am pinned

by you,

a little afraid

of your bulk on me



but as I lie here

hardly able to breathe

I don’t want

you to move.



I am comforted by this load

this holding

that I thought would never be again.



While our warm bodies cool,

                exposed    

                by a dragging duvet



I watch moon patterns

on the wall

                striped shadows of blinds



and I think of Ginsberg –

                the weight of the world

                                is love



and as I know I won’t sleep yet

                I try

to recall more words

                the burden of life

                                is love



I hear the steadiness of your breath

as you sleep on me



                rest in the arms

                                of love



First published here: https://thewriterscafemagazine.wordpress.com/2018/02/13/the-writers-cafe-magazine-issue-5-love-music/

Breakfast in Bed, published by Indigo Dreams, Autumn 2019. https://www.indigodreams.co.uk/jackie-biggs/4594692749





No comments:

Post a Comment